San Juan Islands Whale Watching Tours
from Roche Harbor
San Juan Island Whale Watching & Wildlife Tours
Summary: The waterways surrounding the San Juan Islands are considered the best place in the world to observe Orcas (Killer) Whales in the wild, and the best location in the islands to access those waters is San Juan Outfitter’s exclusive marine adventure center at Roche Harbor. This location allows us to access all the major waterways the whales travel, and we often view whales within the Haro Strait, just a few miles from Roche Harbor. During the peak season, we see whales on 90% of our tours, in addition to a variety of marine wildlife.
San Juan Outfitters is best known for its high quality whale watch and wildlife tours, focusing not only on showing our guests Orca (Killer) Whales, but a wider variety of wildlife as well. Other highlights include Dalls Porpoise, Harbor Porpoise, Minke Whales, Grey Whales, Bald Eagles, and more. Our engaging and educated naturalists and captains are considered experts in their field and work with our guests one-on-one to share their knowledge and experience. Join us for a cruise on the 42’ MV Sea Hawk. Owner and Captain Brian Goodremont has over 10 years of experience operating vessels safely and respectfully around wildlife. “Patience is the key to getting good views of wildlife. If you take your time, and are respectful of the wildlife you’re viewing, you’ll be rewarded with excellent views without impacting the critter you’re observing”.
During the summer months, the nutrient rich waters surrounding the San Juan Islands become a foraging area for a small population of Orca (Killer) Whales known as the Southern Residents. For thousands of years, these groups of Orca (Killer) Whales have likely come to these waters to forage on a variety of salmon, which gather and pass through these waters as they make their way to spawning grounds in the major fresh water river systems on the Washington and British Colombia coast.
If you’re looking for a high quality experience, safe and well maintained equipment, and a well trained and engaging staff, we invite you to join San Juan Outfitters for a whale and wildlife adventure.
Why Choose Us
- US Coast Guard Certified Vessel - MV Sea Hawk 24 Passenger - Inspected Annually
- Best location in the San Juan Islands for whale watch departures; exclusive operator from Roche Harbor, San Juan Island.
- Owner Operated, 10 years of experience performing whale watch tours in the San Juan Islands
- Low guide-to-client ratio means your naturalist and captain are on deck with you in person. Our naturalists are considered the best in the industry, and one of the reasons we know you’ll join us for future tours.
- San Juan Outfitters is part of a professional spotting network, which is a way for us to share information on the location of whales. If the whales are in the area, we’ll know about it, and have the equipment and experience to get you there.
- 90% sighting rate during peak season (May through September) April and October can be good months as well, depending on the salmon runs which govern the whale’s movements.
Provided daily between Friday Harbor & Roche Harbor. Contact us for details!